LEAD Cohort 9, Biblical Theological Seminary

LEAD Cohort 9, Biblical Theological Seminary

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Prayer for Pilgrims

This is a prayer from a book we are reading in preparation for our trip. The book is called "The Road to Emmaus: Pilgrimage as a Way of LIFE" by Jim Forest.

As we prepare for this trip, we have been encouraged to meditate on this prayer. I want to invite you to do the same. When you do (once, twice, or more) come back here and share what you think, or maybe even some God is revealing to you through the prayer.


Lord Jesus, you traveled with the two disciples to Emmaus after the resurrection and set their hearts of fire with your grace. Travel also with me and gladden my heart with your presence.

I know, Lord, that I am a pilgrim on earth, seeking citizenship in heaven.

During my journey surround me with your holy angels and keep me safe from seen and unseen dangers.

Grant that I may carry out my plans and fulfill my expectations according to your will.

Help me to see the beauty of creation and to comprehend the wonder of your truth in all things.

For you are the way, the truth, and the life, and to you I give thanks, praise, and glory forever.

Amen.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad the book included that wonderful prayer. I can't recall where I found it but it's a treasure.

    Jim Forest

    * * *

    Jim & Nancy site: www.incommunion.org/forest-flier/
    In Communion site: www.incommunion.org
    photos: www.flickr.com/photos/jimforest/sets/
    revised, expanded edition of "Living With Wisdom: a biography of Thomas Merton":
    http://incommunion.org/forest-flier/books/living-with-wisdom/
    revised, expanded, all-color edition of "Praying With Icons":
    http://incommunion.org/forest-flier/books/praying-with-icons/
    "The Road to Emmaus: Pilgrimage as a Way of Life":
    http://incommunion.org/forest-flier/books/the-road-to-emmaus-pilgrimage-as-a-way-of-life/
    "Silent as a Stone," a children's book about a community of rescuers in Paris:
    http://incommunion.org/forest-flier/books/silent-as-a-stone-mother-maria-of-paris-and-the-trash-can-rescue/

    * * *
    blogs:

    On Pilgrimage:
    http://jimandnancyonpilgrimage.blogspot.com/

    A Tale of Two Kidneys:
    http://ataleof2kidneys.blogspot.com/

    * * *

    ReplyDelete
  2. My prayer for every member pilgrimaging to Italy is that you have a safe journey and that the Good News that you will carry to another land will change lives, heal the broken hearted and restore relationships with love and mercy, just as we have received from our heavenly Father. I also pray that God will open your spiritual understanding to His Word and the mission that He has set before you all.
    I also pray for protection over your families and ministries while you are gone. May you never see Mission the same after you've spent time with the Lord in a foreign land. Be blessed abundantly.
    Sis. Donna Stove
    Green Grove Baptist Church
    Pastor George E. Holland, Sr.

    ReplyDelete